Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Last Week

Just a day and a week ago at about this time, Peter and I were eating sandwiches in Central Park in New York on a lovely spring day. It was a short visit to New York, but it felt like a luxurious holiday. We had a comfortable hotel room, enjoyed nice meals with nice people, wandered around, saw “A Chorus Line” on Broadway, spent lots of money and wandered around a bit more. For the flight home, our seats were upgraded to business class – I had no idea that seats on an airplane could actually even be that comfortable.

The boys apparently got along fine without us while we were gone. The place looked quite respectable when we got back, although Paddy complained that it took forever to get the laundry washed one load at a time. I did question the number of empty beer bottles that had collected, but Christopher named all the friends who had come by and it seemed a reasonable distribution.

I hadn’t been able to finish all my work on time before we left, so I was anticipating getting straight back to it and sending off several translations as quickly as possible and catching up with impending deadlines. Unfortunately, things didn’t quite work out that way. Somehow I must have picked up some kind of an unpleasant bug along the way and ended up in bed with a fever and feeling absolutely miserable by Wednesday evening. Since Thursday was a holiday and few people were working on Friday, at least I didn’t have the feeling that I was missing a lot – at least there wasn’t more work still coming in. I just can’t afford to take a whole week off work, though, so by the weekend I thought I was feeling well enough to cope again. Of course it was too soon, of course I’m still not feeling well, but life goes on, and my three men have been very, very good to me.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home