Saturday, January 28, 2006

The computer as a telephone

Ages ago Francis sent me a link and suggested that I should try using the computer for phone calls, especially long distance phone calls with my family. Since I have never particularly liked telephones, the idea of using the computer as a telephone didn't really appeal to me, even though Francis kept explaining the advantages to me. OK, now I have to admit that Francis was right.
When we had to get a new laptop, because the old one died, and I was trying to help Christopher set up videoconferencing, so that Francis could help him try to cope with school, Peter got interested - especially after reading an article in a computer magazine - and set up the new laptop to make phone calls.
It works.
I talked to Joseph briefly the other night, and just now I had a nice long talk with Sara. It works between the computer and conventional telephones (for a small fee that is ridiculously low in comparison with our phone bills), but it seems to work especially well between computers using an Internet connection.
The headset looks silly, but talking works, so you may all be hearing from me that way soon.
In any case, it really was very good to be able to talk to Sara, and so far Paddy's plans for going to London in a few weeks seem to be working out well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home