Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas? What?

It has been several years now since we have gone away for Christmas, even longer since we had visitors here. Without people gathering for Christmas, it just isn’t really very exciting. However, I hadn’t actually completely repressed the whole idea – until this year.

Without the happy anticipation of visitors/visiting to look forward to, we have at least started thinking about Christmas and getting ready for it in the past after Peter delivers instruments in early December. This year, however, after Peter delivered instruments the first weekend in December, I went to Amsterdam last weekend, and I wasn’t really in any position to think about anything other than work and preparing for the meeting in Amsterdam before that. Now I am slightly shocked to discover that Christmas is supposed to happen next week.

The next problem, of course, is that the boys have school every day until six in the evening. No one really expects me to go shopping by myself, do they? I’m also not quite sure how we might manage to obtain, set up and decorate a Christmas tree at a time when Peter is not here, but the boys are. Our timing is all off.

I missed the point when it would have been time to send packages to the US, because I was only thinking about what I will take with me in January. I did get one package at least as far as London (I hope), which I gave to a friend I met in Amsterdam to take home with her and mail to Kemble from there. That might work. Whether or not the one single Christmas card we send each year might arrive before Christmas now depends on the efficiency of the Austrian postal system – any bets on that?

I wonder whether my sons are hoping for Christmas presents this year? That might be a bit tricky.

Christmas without visitors is seriously lacking something!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Selbstlaut said...

Myes. It really is very wierd, especially because they were mean enough in School to give us a huge test 2 days before the Christmas holidays... Also I'm organizing a HipHop New Years Jam in the Stadt Werk Statt (I hope this is the right way 'round) and so I don't really have a clear head either... Anybody want to come? Well anyway I need to think of christmaspresents too... to think is the right word here. I wonder if people will except that as being enough...

December 18, 2007 9:47 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Maybe we should just do a "conceptual Christmas" this year. Would that work for everyone? Except, of course, that Paddy won't accept a conceptual Christmas tree.

(Hint: Check your list for helpful references)

December 18, 2007 10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I accpect not to be an acception in the matter of excepting a conceptual tree. Am I? I'm just worried that knowing my fortune any unsheltered gifts will be subject to rain after the roof and several floors are torn off by a freak tornado. That's the sort of thing that happens to us. If we had a tree there'd be no need to worry. But fine, if you want your new katana to get rusty I guess we'll have a pretend Christmas to match our pretend jolly spirit.
.. Didn't you hear me complaining the other day about wanting to be a midget with a Disney obsession again? Imaginary Christmasses won't cut it with this dude.

December 18, 2007 10:21 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I think I'm getting the message. Ok, I promise I will do my best, but anything other than an imaginary tree will have to be a joint effort. And it will also require going into the scary dark cellar to fetch Christmas decorations.

I just hope you're right about all the organized people having done all their Christmas shopping in November, so that it won't be too crowded in town over the next few days.

December 18, 2007 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. I have been baking and making cookies all weekend, Joseph just looked at it and asked, "Who do you think is going to eat all that?" Christmas with just the two of us is certainly quiet.
I wonder if liquid centers in candy counts as "liquid" I can't take on the plane? Otherwise, I will take all this food to NM :)

December 23, 2007 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home