Thursday, February 02, 2006

Our epic crisis

After our last meeting with Christopher's doctor at the hospital, we received an 8-page report from the hospital on the results (or lack thereof) from all the tests and the course of Christopher's illness so far. We all tried to read it, but no one understood very much of it. It started with the heading "Epikrise", which we couldn't find in any of our German dictionaries at home. Paddy said it's very simple: "Krise" means "crisis", we know what that means, it is what we have all the time. Then he claimed that "epi" is related to "epic", a large-scale, highly dramatic, unending story. Thus Patrick's interpretation: "Epikrise" means that Christopher is at the center of an "epic crisis".

This week I have the feeling he might be right:
Monday: slight temperature, some headache, exhaustion;
Tuesday: aggressive behavior, moodiness, temper outbursts;
Wednesday: despair, at the same time wound up, nervous energy;
Thursday (today): exhausted, drained, some headache, no fever yet.

And in all of these states, Christopher needs extra attention, which I find exhausting. Peter is so overworked that he can't cope with Christopher not coping (Since Christopher has never been particularly energetic or ambitious about school, could he really be "using" his illness as a kind of excuse for slacking off?), which leaves Paddy once again as the "last man standing". I'm glad Paddy is going to London in a few weeks, because the poor guy really needs a break. At the same time, I am extremely grateful for his wicked sense of humor and his amazing patience.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While no one can completely understand what you are going through, we can at least empathize with you...I can only imagine how frustrating it must be. As we were in the emergency room Monday night for over 3 hours, I was thinking of you and how tired you must be of the hospital!

I wish now more than ever that I could just hop on the plane and come to you guys! (Especially since I am now feeling better) Just know that I think of you all often and while I am not physically present, I am there in spirit.

February 02, 2006 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home