Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What happened to Seth's foot

On Sunday Jean pointed out to me that in my last blog post I neglected to answer the question that I actually raised in the course of the post: What happened to Seth’s foot? At that point I realized that Les had already pointed that out too, but I forgot to respond to Les’ comment (sorry Les!).

So in case other people have also been wondering for all of ten days now, this is what happened to Seth’s foot: it is not broken. Something in his ankle that probably has a name in English is not torn either, but it is strained, so it will probably take a total of about six weeks to heal completely. Since he is still limping and his ankle is still swollen, this morning I accompanied Seth to see our wonderful family doctor, who has always looked after my sons so well, and introduced Seth to him as my other son. The doctor said that Seth will probably be limping for another four weeks, but he is doing a good job putting ointment on his ankle and wrapping it up, and there is not much more than that to be done about it. The doctor did suggest it might be a good idea to switch to a different ointment that prevents inflammation now, and I have a large tube of that at home, because it is what I use for my hands when they hurt, so I have offered to share it with Seth.

The positive aspect of all this is that he is excused from sports until his ankle heals as well. The boys in the 7th class (which includes Paddy, Christopher, Seth, Sascha ...) all have school every day of the week until six in the evening. On Fridays they have a long lunch break and then they have sports from four to six. I seriously doubt that their sports teacher has ever seen the entire group there together. At some point Paddy apparently tried to explain to the sports teacher that since he and Christopher are brothers and equally bad at sports, it only takes one of them to come in last, so there is no point in making them both run at the same time. I think Seth is considerably better at sports, so he is more likely to be missed, but of course he is not unhappy about having Friday afternoons off for another four weeks.

And in response to Amy’s question about whether Seth was aware of my incompetence when he first came in limping, of course he is much too polite to admit that, although no one else who comes and goes in my household appears to have any inhibitions about commenting on my lack of practical abilities. Sascha’s expressions of alarm any time he comes in and finds me in the kitchen are sometimes quite dramatic. We all have our different strengths and weaknesses. My strengths are generally not particularly useful in a practical way, but that is another good reason to prefer living in a large extended household where people with different skills go in and out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The first priority in any medical emergency is not to do the wrong thing. The second is to find someone who knows what the right thing is.

Your score here is 100%. I think we should all congratulate you.

Francis

March 13, 2008 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I just said in the real world.. I have an alarmingly crazy endurance (I ran more rounds than a certain Chicken Mexican), I am not not fast and I can do crazy amounts of push-ups! I somewhat resent your deviation on my comment.. I never said anything about Mr C and me running equally badly. I said we'd end up with the same time. The bit with the coming last was entirely supplementary.

March 13, 2008 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home