Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Not enough sleep

This morning we were all up sometime around 4 am. Theoretically, Peter and I didn’t really have to get up. Theoretically, Christopher and Paddy really are old enough to get themselves up and organized and off to school in time to be on the bus to Munich with their respective classes without support from their parents. Theoretically.

Practically, however, it somehow didn’t really seem quite feasible. Maybe I just don’t understand, because I am not a 16-year-old boy, but I could not imagine that Paddy’s plan of wandering around Munich for two days with an extra pair of boxer shorts and a toothbrush in his pocket, taking nothing else with him (except his iPod and headphones, of course), was likely to be a good idea. And I couldn’t imagine Christopher going anywhere beyond than three steps out the door without needing extra money. Therefore, as penance, so to speak, for having raised our sons so badly, Peter and I got up to see them off.

Once the boys were gone, being up at five in the morning didn’t really seem like a good idea, so we thought we would just go back to sleep. The only result of that, of course, was that we ended up waking up late and not feeling very rested, so this has not been an altogether very productive day.

One of the great disadvantages of the boys being away (and with them, in this case, a substantial number of the kids generally around at meal times) is that thinking about cooking doesn’t seem to be worth the effort. After staring at the screen blankly for some time, I finally figured out that I had forgotten to eat anything all day. As I have learned in the past few months, insufficient sleep and no food are a bad combination for coherent and intelligent mental activity. Now I am just annoyed with myself for wasting so much time staring blankly at the screen, when I could have easily put a frozen pizza in the oven hours ago.

Prompted by association, however, I finally managed to make a phone call today to ask a great favor from my friend Aida, who generously agreed to let me take her out for a nice dinner on November 3rd. I keep seeing that date looming ominously in my calendar, and I was dreading it, but now I have something to look forward to. The reason why I want to take Aida out for dinner is that less than twenty-four hours after Amy was born in Southern California, Aida was born in Bosnia, and 30 years later Aida and I met in Austria, when our sons Paddy and Vedad became friends in kindergarten.

Now I feel better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home