Saturday, February 04, 2006

Negligent parents

A few days ago Orlando sent me an article about the game Paddy has been working on and how it has been rated with a higher age limit because of some scenes hidden in the code. (Thanks, Orlando, I vaguely remember having heard something about it, but I didn't know the details.) When I showed the article to Paddy and asked him about it, he seemed surprisingly well prepared. Apparently the matter has been much discussed on the message boards for the game. In any case, he quite indignantly rejected my question about whether the addition he is working on would be given a higher age limit for sexual content, but he was a bit more inclined to prevaricate about the issue of violence. In the end, he cheerfully pointed out that it's a good neither he nor any of his team members lives in the US, where they wouldn't even be allowed to play the game.
Does that make me a bad mother?
I think I would be more concerned, if he spent more time playing this obnoxious game. As it is, he is more enthusiastic and learning more about 3D modelling, character development and narrative - and working together online with a very diverse group. I hope I am not just being naive to think that is what will remain with him.
One advantage I have is that while Paddy has been working on his game extension, I have been doing translations for a friend of mine, an artist whose work has intrigued me for years, who is especially interested in art and computer games. I enjoy writing to her about what Paddy is doing, and he is interested in what I am translating for her about art and game theory.
In addition, his interest in and appreciation of computer art seems to grow the more he learns to do himself. Recently I pointed out to him that all the blogs and mailing lists I like to read had tributes to Nam June Paik, a very famous and influential artist who died last week. Paddy was curious, so we started looking at the Nam June Paik website together, and he became more and more interested as we looked at some of the pictures, showing real appreciation for the pioneering work that Paik did. I really enjoy being able to have conversations like that with Paddy.
And under the circumstances of life in our household at this time, I can also appreciate how it might feel quite satisfying to spend some time virtually crashing cars and blowing things up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home