Saturday, July 07, 2007

Enough Food for the Last Days of Humanity

This morning I had to rush to get to the shops in time before they closed at noon, but I just made it. At the butcher's shop, when the woman started packing everything up for me, I had the feeling I had bought enough to feed a small army. Then I realized that I actually need enough food to feed a small army.

Literally a small army.

A considerable number of people from my permanent and extended household have been cast as extras in an elaborate production of a play called "The Last Days of Humanity", which opens on July 18th. Although Paddy is playing the role of a newspaper boy proclaiming one victory after another as the world falls apart, the rest are all cast as young soldiers in World War I.

So while Peter is exploring ways to defy the laws of physics (or at least Austrian traffic laws) to fit all these young "soldiers" into our car to transport them to rehearsals, in between rehearsals we also need to feed them, at least some of them, at least some of the time. In addition to the exchange student from South Africa who is staying with us one more week, someone mentioned in passing this morning that the boys' friend Seth from Ghana is also moving in with us starting this weekend. It is a good thing that school is over now, so we don't have to worry about everyone getting a shower in the morning by seven, but getting everyone out of the house by ten is probably still going to be tight.

As far as the coming week is concerned, we figure we will simply deal with whatever happens, whatever needs to happen. While everyone else is busy preparing for The Last Days of Humanity, I will be relinquishing all household responsibilities to assume responsibility for all the women coming from all over the world to take part in the Eclectic Tech Carnival. Since bringing the Eclectic Tech Carnival to Linz was my idea to begin with, I figure that makes me responsible, although I am extremely grateful to the wonderful women I have been working with, who are actually making this happen. I just make noise, but the others actually get things done.

But now at least we have enough food for a small army and The Last Days of Humanity, so we are all set.


Addendum: I have been practicing taking pictures with my phone, and I'm not very good at it, since I can't actually see what I'm doing, but since I started a Flickr account for one of the projects I am working on, I have been putting some of them there. Pictures of pancakes for part of a small army tonight: here

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home