Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Another memory for Joseph

Looking for something else, I happened to find an email that I wrote to Amy about Joseph's visit to Austria by himself, when he was 13. So here is another memory for Joseph:

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 00:12:44 +0200 (MEST)
From: Aileen Derieg
To: "Amy D. Boehms"
Subject: Potential young opera lover

I just had a lovely chat with the three boys when I went in to say good-night and tuck them in. Since we are invited to the Masons tomorrow for a party for the cast and crew of the opera this year, I suggested that showers/baths and clean clothes would be appropriate tomorrow morning. I reminded my boys that good manners will be very much appreciated and explained to Joseph that these are very special friends. Then, in light of certain comments intended to be funny over the past few days, I pointed out to Joseph that derogatory comments about opera would probably not go over well in this company. He thought about it for a minute and then decided that it would be really cool to come to Europe as an American not knowing anything about opera, and then go home as an opera lover. What a wonderful solution! I admit, I am charmed. I pointed out that he would be following a family tradition in that case, since his grandfather and great-uncle Joe returned from a trip to Chicago and became paying members of the San Antonio Opera Society at the age of 18, and told them all the story about how Juanita used to sit Dad, Joe and Pat in front of the radio every Sunday afternoon for the opera hour when they were hardly more than kindergarten age, with the result that every one of them was able to whistle arias from famous operas for the rest of his life. Joseph sat up and said, "Is that what he used to whistle?!"

Are you ready for this? It seems that your son is ready to become an opera lover.

I am so glad he is here - I am impressed with how adaptable he is, so that it feels as though he has always been here. After Patrick finished decorating his cake to take tomorrow (he took a picture, so I will send that to you), he was so thrilled he wanted everyone to come and look. Christopher looked at the cake and was so impressed, he threw his arms around Patrick to give him a big hug, so Joseph put his arms around both of them. Then he looked at me and said "Group hug!" and held out his arm, so I joined them, too. The little one getting squashed in the middle was very, very happy. So they work well as a threesome, too.

If you would like to see pictures of the cake, Peter just put them up
at http://eliot.priv.at/cake_of_ulysses/

This also just reminded me to go and look for fresh batteries, so that we can take some pictures of your son tomorrow, too.

Watch for coming attractions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home