Friday, March 31, 2006

Parental dilemma

This morning I got up quite cheerfully, thinking that Peter and I will be escaping this afternoon. Then Patrick walked out complaining that his throat hurt and his head hurt, and I checked and he had a fever.
Bad news.
Patrick insisted that we should still go, he would be fine, Christopher was seriously offended by the insinuation that he would not be able to look after his brother well, and we all saw the weekend we had all been looking forward to moving very quickly out of reach, as Peter wanted to call the hotel and cancel immediately.

I took Patrick straight in to Joachim, our family doctor, who said it looks like a virus currently circulating in Linz, and he said there really isn't anything Patrick can do but rest, drink lots of tea and take Parkamed, if the headache gets worse (his fever dropped within an hour and the tea had already helped his throat). When I explained the dilemma, Joachim started to laugh and recommended that Peter and I should go and relax and enjoy the weekend. He has been to this hotel, he says it really is nice and it would do us good.
Can Peter and I really be such irresponsible parents and leave a sick child at home in the care of his flighty brother? How relaxing could it be to spend a weekend with a concerned father winding himself up worrying constantly about the boys?
Peter has meanwhile talked to his parents, so Oma and Opa will check in on the boys this evening and tomorrow. Patrick swears he will make sure that Christopher does a good job looking after him, so I think we can go ...
In any case, I still have a few hours to talk myself into believing it will be all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home