Thursday, March 16, 2006

Time - passing, stopping

Outside, through the window or on the balcony, it always looks the same, just an endless succession of gray days. I have been working hard to get enough things finished so that I can go to London next week, just measuring time in numbers of lines and pages translated, so that I sometimes forget why I want to go to London. At least I have a brand new Austrian passport now, since yesterday, so I can cross borders again.

The other night the boys gave up watching King Kong, because Christopher couldn't keep his eyes open any more. Still, he heroically stuck to his offer to do the dishes, but by the time he got to the last two pots, he was so exhausted he was nearly in tears. When I mentioned it to Peter later, his first thought was the Christopher is getting sick again, but I didn't want to think about that. Yesterday morning Christopher was still tired, and after lunch he went to sleep and slept so deeply all afternoon that I made him take his temperature. It was still normal, though, and he seemed fine this morning when he left for school. At 10:00 he called me at the office to tell me that he had come home from school, because he wasn't feeling well.

Suddenly time stops.

He is asleep now on the couch, and his temperature is only just starting to rise. I hope we can keep him at home again this time, since that seems to be easier for everyone, but it depends on how it goes this time. They can't really do anything for him in the hospital except to give him a spinal tap to relieve the pressure on his brain, so unless the pain gets to be too much for him, he doesn't need to go in.
We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home