Saturday, February 18, 2006

End of semester

We have now all survived the first semester of school this year, the boys got their report cards this morning. Since Christopher failed every single exam he was there to take, with the exception of the one English exam, most of his teachers said they didn't have enough material to assess his work and wrote "no assessment" instead of a grade, which is actually extremely generous. Without some improvement, he won't be able to move on to the seventh class like this, but if he can improve, it least he doesn't have to balance out a failure in the first semester.

Patrick isn't doing particularly well in French and German, but at least he is motivated to improve his French. Probably not German, but that's the way it is. I don't think anyone is going to worry too much about it. Other than that, Patrick has figured out how school works, so he is fine.

He is getting very excited about going to London on Monday, though, although he denies being wound up. When he is especially happy or excited, he insists on speaking Spanish to me (occasionally alternating with French). Since he only started learning Spanish this semester, so far I can keep up, but that is not likely to last long. On the whole, I have not heard a lot of English from him today (the boys never speak German with Peter or me), except when he was talking to Charlotte through the computer, when the two of them just got sillier and sillier. To be fair, maybe Charlotte was being quite sensible and reasonable on her end and I just couldn't hear that, because Paddy had his headset on, but it was thoroughly impossible to get any sensible information out of their conversation as I was looking at timetables on various websites and trying to figure out whether Paddy and his friend should take a bus to Swindon via Oxford, instead of going back into London to catch a train. I finally gave up and joined their conversation from the laptop, fortunately just as Sara came in, so the two mothers took over and filled in the gaps of information together.

Since Christopher only managed to get back to school two days before the teachers had to hand in all their grades for the semester, he arrived just in time to join in all the end-of-semester festivities - and Christopher is not one to miss a party. Not long ago we reached a compromise that he may be allowed to stay out later than midnight once a month, since he will be 16 in May, especially if he is performing somewhere. That once a month is tonight, and he is performing, so we agreed that he will be home by 3:00. However, since I have been working all day, except for a few hours spent trying to sort out Paddy's travel plans, and my eye is getting tired again, I don't think I will try to spend the next one and a half hours working until he gets home. Since he knows I won't go to bed until he is home, he is normally very conscientious about being on time.

Tomorrow Paddy and I have to get up to go out and get presents for him to take on Monday, then I need to bake cupcakes for his birthday on Sunday, because that's what he wants. Maybe I should try to get some more work done tonight after all ....

1 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

All right, I will endeavor to be more careful about my use of strong language. But if you and Charlotte had already discussed it, how is it that the information didn't get to me until I talked to Sara?

February 18, 2006 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home