Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Meeting with the psychologist

This afternoon Peter, Christopher and I drove all the way out to one of the ugliest little villages in Austria to meet with a psychologist. He works at the psychiatric clinic in Linz, but they only treat in-patients there, not even their own out-patients, let alone patients from a different hospital, which is why we had to go to his private practice. I was a bit worried about what that might end up costing, but since he will be doing diagnostic tests with Christopher, we will be able to get most of the costs reimbursed through our health insurance.
I wish I could post some new insights here, but I think it was mostly the psychologist getting a clear idea of what Christopher's situation is, so we (mostly I, I think) did most of the talking. In any case, he and Christopher made an appointment to go through a whole series of diagnostic tests to check Christopher's memory and attention abilities, and after we explained our situation to him, that Peter and I are both self-employed, so it really is a burden to have to drive Christopher to Marchtrenk, he said he would do the tests with him in his office at the hospital in Linz. That would make life easier too.
In the end, however, he did say that Christopher has a lot to cope with, and all in all he seems to be managing fairly well - things could be a lot worse. I was glad to hear him say that.
Other than that, Christopher has been going to school for two whole days now, and every once in a while we get a glimpse of the reasonable and rational human being that he is becoming. As sleepy as I was this morning, I was very impressed with the way he asked me not to knock on the door more than once to remind him to get out of the shower in the mornings - he was quite firm about how irritating it is if I knock more than once, but also civil and polite about it. There is hope!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home