Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A quiet morning

After Christopher went to bed last night, he was obviously struggling with the fever for some time, but he became calmer and started breathing deeply again not too long after midnight. He didn't wake up when I put my hand on his head, but his head was no longer as hot either, so I went to bed, although I got up several times during the night when I heard him tossing and turning.
When he got up about 15 minutes ago, he was alert enough to realize that it is Wednesday and ask why I am not teaching my class at the art university this morning (because semester break has already started for the university), which I thought was impressive, since I had no idea what day it is today.
He is still a bit spacey, and his head is still bothering him a little, but he doesn't have a fever now. He wasn't sure about whether he should go to the hospital or not, but we agreed to wait and see how his head feels when he has been up for a bit, and whether his temperature stays down. It looks like the worst is over. I'm not sure whether we are all just getting used to it, or whether the episodes of meningitis are really less severe, but it any case, it does seem to be getting easier.

Meanwhile I have been seriously neglecting my younger son, who is also in pain but much more quiet about it. Yesterday afternoon he went off happily to the orthodontist expecting to get his braces removed. When he got them on just after his 13th birthday last year, he was told that he would need to wear them for a year. Since he will be 14 in eleven days, he thought that was long enough. Unfortunately, instead of taking his braces off, the orthodontist tightened them and said they need to stay on for another eight weeks, and Patrick complained that a sadistic assistant even made his mouth bleed. And then his distracted mother didn't even hear him, when he woke up in pain at four in the morning! In my own defense, I can only say that Patrick suffers much more quietly than Christopher does, but I will make something nice and soft for him for lunch and try to make it up to him this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home