Friday, February 10, 2006

Not quite so easy

As it later became apparent, this bout of meningitis was not quite as easy as we initially thought. By Wednesday afternoon Christopher was getting very tired again, and his temperature started rising. It didn't go up too high, but he spent all day yesterday lying on the couch feeling weak and low as the meningitis turned into a bad cold with coughing and a runny nose.
I hope we made the right decision not to take him to the hospital this time, because it certainly makes life easier for me, if I don't have to stop working entirely to look after him, as I do when he is in the hospital. Of course, it is still stressful to keep working while looking after a sick child at the same time, and I was under a lot of pressure yesterday to finish an eleven-page press release in time for an exhibition opening last night.
At this point I am still trying to catch up with the work I couldn't finish when Christopher was home sick last week, but I am fortunate that the people I translate for are all very understanding and willing to make an effort to be as flexible as possible. However, I still find it difficult to have to readjust my self-image, because I am no longer as reliable as I have always thought of myself.
Christopher still has a slight temperature this morning; now I am just hoping that he doesn't feel well enough by the afternoon to start arguing with me about wanting to go to a ball tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home