Thursday, March 09, 2006

It was good while it lasted

It seems to have done us all good that Christopher was so calm and rational during semester break and that it lasted, more or less, all through the first week of school. Now we seem to have returned to a more "normal" state of affairs, however, and I am thoroughly exasperated. I have the feeling he just bounces around all over the place, both mentally and physically, and if he is not on the phone or out with friends, every time a stray thought accidentally wanders into his mind, he starts shouting for me to drop everything immediately and run to wherever he is, so that he can tell me about it. Why does it always sound like an emergency, whenever some trivial thought occurs to him? It's lucky for me that I managed to get somewhat caught up on work while he was in his calmer phase.

Yesterday he was so tired and irritable that I made him take his temperature, but it was normal. Or maybe it is just me feeling tired and irritable? I just checked, and it has only been four weeks since the last round of meningitis, so I suspect this is simply ordinary obnoxious adolescent behavior, but it would be nice to have another phase of rational reasonable behavior before he is sick again.

But at least I don't feel constantly on edge any more. Whatever comes, we can deal with it, even if not always gracefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home